6 Interesting Facts about Steel
At Arizona Iron Supply in Phoenix, we are passionate about steel. Steel is a low-carbon alloy that is typically made of iron, tin, and carbon. Its ability to withstand corrosion, heat, and pressure make it one of the most popular metals in fabrication shops. If your fabrication shop is looking for a steel supplier in Phoenix or in the southwest of the United States, be sure to give us a call or drop by our warehouse to check out our extensive inventory of steel products.
Here are a few interesting facts you might not know about this amazing metal:
- Steel is the most recycled material in the world. In 2014, the recycling rate of steel was 86%, making it higher than aluminum, glass, paper, and plastic combined. Recycling a single steel can saves enough energy to power a 60-watt light bulb for almost 4 years.
- Steel has been used for over 1,000 years. Steel has survived and thrived for many centuries to make weapons and tools. Even in ancient times people utilized steel to improve their lives, just as we do today.
- Steel is roughly 1,000 times stronger than iron in its purest form, and it can be recycled without losing strength. Its strength makes it a popular building material. For example, steel bridges are four to eight times lighter than those built from concrete.
- The steel industry has an estimated value of $900 billion, making it the second largest industry in the world, after oil and gas. The United States is the third leading producer of steel, after Japan and China. The steel industry provides more than 2 million jobs worldwide.
- Steel is used in a number of common household items.
- 75 percent of all major appliances are comprised of steel.
- The average computer is about 25 percent steel.
- Two-thirds of all canned goods’ packaging are made out of steel
- Steel’s flexibility is one of its main appeals. Because of its thermal expansion coefficient, steel won’t crack and break like concrete, when exposed to extreme temperature changes. This is why the Eiffel Tower is six inches taller in the summer than it is in the winter.
These are just a few of the many reasons why we are proud to be part of the steel industry. Stop by our warehouse today to see why Arizona Iron Supply is the number one steel supplier in Phoenix and the southwest. Let our experts help you select the right products for your fabrication shop.
Images used under creative commons license – commercial use (2/28/2019) Pixaby